Enterprise Bacula is an advanced distributed data center backup system. It integrates Community Bacula project core capabilities with specific technologies to create one of the most powerful and stable business backup solutions available. Enterprise Bacula includes unique features and plugins to streamline your data recovery strategy, increase IT infrastructure efficiency, and significantly reduce costs. Contact us today to start a project.
- Snapshot technology to get a read-only copy of the data set from one point in time that allows applications to continue to record their data for both file systems, virtual machines, and databases
- Windows Encrypting File System (EFS) that allows files to be transparently encrypted to protect sensitive data from hackers with physical access to the computer
- Differential, full, incremental, and full synthetic data backup and recovery functionality
- Features of Global Endpoint deduplication ™ to greatly save hardware costs and minimize network bandwidth utilization
- Integration into the native cloud – via interface S3, Azure, Swift, CEPH etc.
- Full Synthetic Progressive Capacity for massive backup time savings
- Copy from Storage Daemon to another (SD2SD) with replication and deduplication capabilities
- Storage Daemons also for Windows systems
- Storage Daemon Option Connects to Client (Firewall transversing)
- The Report Storage Daemon lets you retrieve a range of information, such as available disk space and disk usage information
- REST API, the industry standard for integration with other applications and cloud
- BWeb Management Suite to configure, deploy, analyze and manage your backup and restore infrastructure. Cloud recording graphing, reporting, and monitoring modules
- Backup-as-a-Service bcloud interface for hosting companies, MSPs and IaaS providers
- Unbeatable scalability with up to 10,000 backup clients per server (Director)
- Compression of communication line allowing to divide by 3 the volume of data transmitted through the lines of communication
- Plug-in to automatically generate inclusion lists of backup files and directories, including all drives in a Windows environment
- Deduplication support for file or hardware systems (volume aligned format)
- Directory Services Plugin (OpenLDAP and Active Directory)
- Bacula Microsoft VSS plugin with support for MS SQL Server and MS Exchange
- Bacula MSSQL VDI Plugin
- Bare Metal Recovery plugin for Linux and Windows systems (with UEFI and EFI support)
- NDMP Plugin
- Client-less Plugins for VMs
- VMware Plugin with granular instant restore of single files
- KVM Plugin
- Hyper-V Plugin
- Xen plugin
- Proxmox Plugin
- SAN Shared Tape Library Module
- Oracle plugin
- SAP Plugin
- HANA SAP Plugin
- MySQL Plugin
- PostgreSQL Plugin
- Delta plugin
- Incremental Accelerator for NetApp
- Client-initiated backup
- Restarting Incomplete Jobs
- Pause and summarize backups
- Bandwidth Limitation
- Option to Always Back Up a Particular File
- Backup permissions and other file metadata
- Supported multi-volume backups and data recovery
- A complete and comprehensive SQL standard database of all files stored in backup. This enables online viewing of files saved to any specific volume and advanced reporting capabilities.
- Automatic pruning of the database (removal of old records), thus simplifying the administration of the database.
Internal Job Scheduler
- Multi-threaded implementation
- A comprehensive and extensible configuration file for each daemon
- Multiple tasks can read the same volume simultaneously
- BSys alert script (predictive support)
- Support for Windows mount point snapshots
Global Block-Level Deduplication
Deduplication can significantly reduce the amount of disk space needed to store your data. In the best cases, depending on the deduplicability of the backup data, this can reduce the required disk space by 99%.
Bacula has three deduplication mechanisms. Two via software, one via hardware.
Global Deduplication or only in Storage, via software, compacts the data after deduplication, so you should avoid backing up compressed data, which generally yields a low deduplication rate.
As shown in Figure 1, Global Deduplication can significantly reduce the required network bandwidth, because both ends can exchange references instead of the actual data itself. It works when the destination already has a copy of the original blocks. Deduplication works for backups and during restoration.
Manipulating references instead of data can speed up most of the processing within the Storage Daemon. For example, Bacula’s Copy/Migration and Virtual Full features can be up to 1,000 times faster.
Software deduplication can only be done only in storage if for some reason it is not possible to do the Global one.
Bacula Enterprise’s customer feedback is excellent. The reduction factor is between 5 and 25 times the size of the average backup data. Our dedup engine is at least as good as our competitors.
A Quick Guide on the Bacula Deduplication driver is available here: http://bacula.us/enterprise-bacula-global-deduplication-driver-quick-guide/
Hardware Deduplication is provided by a driver that writes Bacula volumes in a format aligned with specific block limits. This allows a storage device or file system that does deduplication to have maximum efficiency. It is a volume optimized for deduplication (or often called the “Aligned” volume format).
As there are several deduplication file systems available on Linux systems (ZFS, lessfs, ddumbfs, SDFS (OpenDedup), LiveDFS, ScaleDFS, NetApp NFS), Epitome (OpenBSD), Quantum (on your appliance), …, this implementation of Bacula allows users to choose the deduplication mechanism they wish to use.
Although some of these deduplication mechanisms use large blocks (128K), the block sizes in most can range from 4K to 1M. Bacula with Aligned Volumes has several directives that allow for optimal tuning for the underlying deduplication mechanism.
Other Detailed Features
- Network Backup/Restore Network with centralized Director
- Built-in scheduler for automatic work execution
- Scheduling multiple concurrent jobs
- Running one job at a time or multiple concurrent jobs (sometimes called multiplexing)
- Sequencing tasks using priorities
- Desktop GUI interface option (Bacula Administration Tool, also known as BAT)
- FIPS 140-2 compatible
- Data Encryption Code (AES 128, AES192, AES256 or blowfish) and the summary algorithm
- Windows Encrypting File System (EFS)
- Existing backup data reliability verification or silent detection of corrupted data
- Checking previously cataloged files, allowing Tripwire capability (system intrusion detection)
- CRAM-MD5 password authentication between each component (daemon)
- Configurable encryption of TLS (SSL) communications between each component
- Configurable data encryption (on volume) on one client per client
- Calculation of the MD5 or SHA1 signatures of the file data, if requested
Data Recovery Features:
- GUI restore with options available to source application or local to disk all plug-ins, ensuring greater reliability and flexibility of the restore process
- Restoring one or more selected files interactively to the current backup or a backup before a specified time and date
- Restoration of a complete system from scratch (Bare Metal). This is mostly automated for Linux and Solaris systems
- Listing and Restoring files using bls and bextract independent tool programs. Among other things, this allows the extraction of files when the Bacula® and / or catalog are not available
- Ability to quickly restore the catalog database using bootstrap files (previously saved)
- Ability to rebuild the catalog database by verifying backup volumes using the bscan program
- Catalog database resource to remember backups of Volumes, pools, tasks, and files
- Support for MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite databases
- Extensible user queries for databases
Advanced Volume and Pool Management:
- Tagged volumes, preventing accidental replacement (at least by Bacula). Bacula Enterprise Edition also supports IBM / ANSI tape labels, which are recognized by many enterprise tape management software.
- Any number of jobs and customers can be done in a single volume. That is, you can back up and restore Linux, Unix, Sun and Windows machines to the same volume
- Multi-volume backup. When a volume is full, Bacula automatically requests the next volume and continues the backup
- Pool and volume library management, offering volume flexibility (for example, monthly, weekly, and daily volume sets, volume sets segregated by the client)
- Machine-independent volume data format. Linux, Solaris, and Windows clients can be backed up on the same volume if desired
- The Volume data format is compatible with higher versions so that old volumes can always be read
- A flexible messaging handler, including message routing from any daemon back to the Director and automatic email reporting
- Spool data to the disk during backup with subsequent tape burning of the spooled disk files. This prevents tape “shoe-shining” during incremental/differential backups
Advanced Support for most Storage Devices:
- Unknown unsupported tape-libraries
- Auto-changer support using a simple shell interface that can interact with virtually any library program
- Support for autochanger barcodes; automatic labeling of tape from barcodes
- Automatic support for multiple automatic changer magazines using barcodes or by reading the tapes
- Support for multiple autochangers in the same Storage Daemon
- All volume blocks (approximately 64K bytes) contain a data checksum
- Migration support: Move data from one Pool to another or a Volume to another
- Multi-threaded implementation
- A comprehensive and extensible configuration file for each daemon
- Storage Daemon report
- Console interface for director allowing full control
- Raw device backup/restore. The restore must be for the same device
TCO Reference Cases
- Datacom: estimated savings of 77% over previous Netbackup licenses.
Algar: economy estimated at 150% in relation to the previous solution.
Caixa Geral de Depósitos (Portugal): savings of 200,000 Euros per year (http://bacula.us/portugal-caixa-geral-de-depositos-bank-adopts-bacula/).
The Figures 2, 3 and 4 show European, North American and Brazilian cases, respectively:
The most up-to-date Enterprise Bacula Presentation with new cases such as Volkswagen, Airbus, banks and large telecommunications companies, is available through the URL: http://bacula.us/2017-bacula-enterprise-edition-presentationslides/
We can reduce your cost with backup licenses of the same or higher quality. Just follow the link.