This is a very recurring question and it’s not always the administrator choice. However those are some points that may enlight a new Bacula user baby bat:
|Packages||Build from Source|
|● It’s hard to fit Bacula version compatibility matrix between different operating systems packages and their own versions.|
● Usually provide older Bacula versions than the current one.
● Unable to use last cutting-edge features and bug-fixes.
● Easier to set up.
|● Help Bacula developers and users to debug and fix errors from new releases.|
● Better understanding of Bacula capabilities.
● Benefit from using last features, updates and bug fixes.
● Ability to automate and script Bacula installation routine and some custom initial configuration.
If you are motivated to learn more about Bacula Community Linux and Windows deploy from source, please refer to this nice updated tutorial: http://bacula.us/compilation/